denied update from win2k

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 23 00:49:25 UTC 2001

You have delegated "win2k.mycompany.com" to some machine called
"test2.win2k.mycompany.com", which has an address in the 135.10.*.*
address range.

This in no way authorizes any particular machine to Dynamically Update the
10.135.in-addr.arpa zone.

If you don't mind giving Win2K clients and/or Win2K DHCP servers free run
of your 10.135.in-addr.arpa zone, then just put an allow-update in the
zone definition. But think very carefully before you do this, because once
it's done, practically speaking you then have to make *all* updates to
that zone -- including updates for non-Win2K boxes, if any -- via Dynamic
Update. It's not possible to mix Dynamic Update and manual update in the
same zone reliably (short of stopping the nameserver during every manual
update).

- Kevin