message: zone transfer timeout for "zone"; pid 4294967294 missing

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Feb 23 01:12:04 UTC 2001

As near as I can tell, vfork() on your system is returning -2 (which is
4294967294 when interpreted as an unsigned int). Bizarre. vfork() should
*never* return -2. BIND only special-cases -1 (error) and 0 (child), so it
blithely assumes that the named-xfer is proceeding. Eventually it times out
(duh), since it never really started in the first place. You could verify
this theory by turning on debug. Look for the line "started xfer child -2".
I've certainly never seen anything like that on my Solaris boxes...

- Kevin