Need help diagnosing my simple setup.

Kenneth Porter shiva at well.com
Sat Feb 24 08:49:31 UTC 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:50:55 -0700, Alex Waltrip wrote:

>filename:  /etc/hosts:

/etc/hosts is not used by dig nor named.

>filename:  /etc/resolv.conf:
>domain gibberish.net
>search C3922-A.lakwood3.co.home.com gibberish.net
>nameserver 24.10.132.178
>nameserver 24.10.132.180

If you don't specify a name server for dig to use, it's going to use
one of the ones specified in resolv.conf. Try using "dig @localhost
topdog.gibberish.net".

You could also set your nameserver to forward to your ISP's nameservers
("options { forwarders { 24.10.132.178; 24.10.132.180; }; };"), and put
localhost in resolv.conf as the default nameserver. Have your Windows
box use your Linux box as its nameserver.

If this domain will only be for internal use, I'd suggest using a TLD
other than one of the public ones, like .internal or .lan or somesuch.
(To the list: Is there any standard for this?) You can then be
guaranteed that you won't conflict with a real domain.

When you bring up the DHCP server, join the ISC DHCP-server list.

Ken
mailto:shiva at well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]