UNIX BIND Server & W2000 DNS Server

Christian Krackowizer ckrackowiz at std.schuler-ag.com
Mon Feb 26 15:57:21 UTC 2001

At 09:12 26.02.2001 +0100, you wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>I've, recently, installed a Windows 2000 AD in a UNIX DNS environment.
>In order to support DDNS I've configured a DNS server (Microsoft) in
>Windows 2000, I didn't want to allow Dynamic Updates in my UNIX DNS
>server (BIND 9.1).
>
>I've delegate a subdomain from UNIX server, but i've got some
>questions that I'm not able to answer myself:
>
>Windows 2000 servers (T1 and T2) are clients of theirself. In other
>words, T1 has as primary DNS server T1 and T2 has a primary DNS server
>T1.
>
>T1 and T2 has a DNS server integrated in AD, and are forwarded to UNIX
>DNS server (BA). This forward is used in order to minimize times to
>resolve queries outside the subdomain delegated in T1 and T2.
>
>My question is:
>
>Can I change T1 and T2 primary servers to BA, and removind forward
>from their DNS servers?

principally yes, but I do not recommend it.

>If i change this, Dynamic Updates will continue functioning?

if enabled on the BA, yes

>What's the best way to deploy Windows 2000 AD in and envoronment UNIX
>DNS without DDNS in this server?

well, we did a lot of playing around and ended up with the same
configuration as you.
The only problem we see is the handling of the serial number between both
T1/2 which differs from time to time. Specially the reverse zone serials
always differ.

Gruß
kra1