Do I need NS records in a zone file about subdomains I administer on the same Nameserver

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Feb 27 00:34:17 UTC 2001

VLERICK ROLAND wrote:

> Dear Admins,
>
> I am using bind9.1.0 and was wondering about the need of NS records. In my named.conf file I mention that I am autoritative for a subdomain, but I never define NS records in the master("father") zone.
>
> f.e.
>
> sub.pipo.com master ...  In named.conf
>
> but no sub IN NS ns1.pipo.com. In zone file for pipo.com
>
> Do you think this is working or not ??

It will only "work" if a) all of the authoritative nameservers for pipo.com also happen to be authoritative for sub.pipo.com (but as soon as one of them becomes non-authoritative for sub.pipo.com, for
whatever reason, then nameservice for that zone will become unreliable), or b) every nameserver or stub resolver that you want to be able to resolve names in sub.pipo.com is explicitly configured to
*only* forward the query to one or more authoritative nameservers for the zone.

Why *wouldn't* you add the delegation? What are you hoping to accomplish by omitting it?

> Can I update this zone with the nsupdate command ???

Assuming that sub.pipo.com names resolve at all (see above), nsupdate should see the proper NS and/or SOA records for the zone and direct the Dynamic Update to the right place.