cname quick question

Cricket Liu cricket at VeriSign.com
Tue Feb 27 23:44:23 UTC 2001

> Thanks for explaining it to me.

You're welcome.

> If I understand it correctly, the change itself is technically feasible
and
> the standards can be modified, but the main trick is to find a
modification
> that will be interoperability with the existing DNS servers (whether BIND
or
> others).

No, *any* modification along these lines *will not be* interoperable with
any existing name servers and will require fairly extensive changes to them.
That's why I sincerely doubt this will ever happen.  Introducing a change
that causes either resolution failures or unexpected resolution results on
all
name servers that haven't been upgraded is a non-starter.

> So here is a challenge for you and the other DNS gurus on this list. Can
you
> come with a creative idea how to modify BIND (and the standards) such that
> new servers will allow a CNAME for domain names without breaking
> interoperability with existing servers.

I would prefer to sit back and observe while you and others who say you
have a vested interest in this change work to get it done.

> Possibly you can use different assumptions for the things that are in the
> control of the domain owner (e.g. the version of DNS server they and their
> secondary use) and those that our out of their control (e.g. the version
of
> clients the rest of the Internet uses).

I'm afraid one of those assumptions would have to be that we can get
everyone on the Internet to upgrade their name servers simultaneously.

cricket