cname quick question

Cricket Liu cricket at VeriSign.com
Wed Feb 28 20:52:30 UTC 2001

> 1 - All the resolvers on the planet already support this feature - if they
> follow the RFC.  Also, the feature is "backward compatible" - so you don't
> have to make changes to servers - if you don't want to.  Finally, BIND
> versions 4 though 8.2.2 supported this feature - so most servers already
> support it anyway.

Really?

Can you tell us which name servers you've tested that support following
delegation to a zone's name servers and then finding that the zone's domain
name is an alias?  Or can you tell us the domain name of your zone with the
hacked CNAME RR at its apex so that we can try to resolve that domain
name?  Can you tell us the effect of caching the CNAME record (assuming
the resolving name server doesn't just ignore it) on successive lookups,
e.g.,
for the domain name's MX record?

cricket