bind9 questions

Timothy.Moseley at hurlburt.af.mil Timothy.Moseley at hurlburt.af.mil
Wed Feb 28 22:33:25 UTC 2001

Hello all again. I have a couple of questions concerning BIND9.1.1rc3
running as a slave, but first let me show you a partial of my named.conf and
the rndc.conf I created.

named.conf
// generated by named-bootconf.pl

acl localhost {
                primary_internal_dns_address;
};

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        pid-file "/usr/local/etc/named.pid";
        auth-nxdomain yes;
        statistics-file "/var/named/stats";
        transfer-format many-answers;
        transfer-source  primary_internal_dns_address;
        forward only;
        forwarders {
          internal_firewall_IP;
        };
        allow-transfer { none; };
};

//  named.boot
//  type  domain                                primary         filename

zone "domain.af.mil" {
        type slave;
        file "secondary/domain.af.mil";
        masters {
                primary_internal_dns_address;
        };
        allow-update {
                localhost;
        };
        notify no;
};
rndc.conf

options {
        default-server localhost;
        default-key rndc_key;
};
MY primary internal is a QIP box running on NT, I know alot of you out there
will see this as sacreligious, but the choice was not mine. Anyways I
upgraded to BIND8.2.3 a couple of weeks ago and everything loaded great on
this box and was working smooth as silk w/ QIP. Zone transfers happened and
I saw no errors in any logs. Since this is just one of the secondaries I
have I am able to experiment w/ it before upgrading any of the other boxes.
Oh yeah, sorry this is on a sparc box running Solaris 7 w/ all of the latest
and greatest patches already applied. Okay first problem, BIND9.1.1rc3
installed w/ no probs, but no zone transfers. You can see I have the files
going to the /var/named/secondary directory but nothing shows after
restarting named, so I tried the rnd reload command. ERROR:  rndc:
/etc/rndc.conf: file not found, so I created one w/ out the default-key
statement; ERROR: rndc: get default key: not found. QIP does not support
this TSIG key so I can't use this feature but I put it in anyway. Second
problem,  this is what I see in my logs when named is started w/ kill -HUP
'cat /var/run/named.pid' : Feb 28 20:56:15 pinnacle4
/usr/local/sbin/named[263]: the default for the 'auth-nxdomain' option is
now 'no'
Feb 28 20:56:15 pinnacle4 /usr/local/sbin/named[263]: option 'check-names'
is not implemented---as you can see auth-nxdomain is set for yes and I am
not even using check-names. I have printed out the manual that comes with
BIND9 and have tried everything I can to get zone transfers, what am I doing
wrong, besides using NT.

Sorry for the book

TIA

Tim