subzone delegation but SOA not authoritative?]

Lookman Fazal fazall at research.bell-labs.com
Sun Feb 25 16:44:57 UTC 2001

hello all

I checked all the archieves but could not find any answer to this

In my parent zone file mycompany.com.db I have the following entry.

@       IN      SOA     ns1.research.mycompany.com.
admin.research.mycompany.com.
(
                                900531422       ;Serial
                                3600            ; Refresh every 1 hour
                                900             ; Retry 15 minutes
                                2592000         ; Expire 30 days
                                3600 )          ; Minimum TTL of 1 hour

; Name Servers ( The name '@' is implied )
;

        IN      NS      ns1.research.mycompany.com.

win2k       IN      NS      test2.win2k.mycompany.com.
test2.win2k.mycompany.com.          IN      A       135.10.41.2

I have created a subzone called win2k

When I do a dig SOA on mycompany.com

I get the below output

ns1# dig soa mycompany.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> soa mycompany.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      mycompany.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mycompany.com.          1D IN SOA       ns1.research.mycompany.com.
admin.research.mycompany.com. (
                                        900531422       ; serial
                                        1H              ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        4w2d            ; expiry
                                        1H )            ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mycompany.com.          1D IN NS        ns1.research.mycompany.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.research.mycompany.com.  1D IN A  135.10.40.26

;; Total query time: 1 msec
;; FROM: ns1 to SERVER: default -- 135.10.40.26
;; WHEN: Sat Feb 24 15:11:31 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 31  rcvd: 119

But when I do a dig soa on win2k.mycompany.com

ns1# dig soa win2k.mycompany.com

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> soa win2k.mycompany.com
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      win2k.mycompany.com, type = SOA, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mycompany.com.          1D IN SOA       dns01-bb.abc.com.
admin.parentcompany.com. (
                                        133             ; serial
                                        6H              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

;; Total query time: 14 msec
;; FROM: ns1 to SERVER: default -- 135.10.40.26
;; WHEN: Sat Feb 24 15:17:51 2001
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 41  rcvd: 121

The question is why isn't win2k.mycompany.com giving me the same dig
output as
mycompany.com

Another thing is when I do a dig on a nonexisting subzone for example
dig soa anysubzone.mycompany.com I get the same SOA as mycompany.com

Also how can I make win2k.mycompany.com give the same results as
mycompany.com

Thanks
--fazall