Where to begin ??? DNS and W2K

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue Jan 2 17:19:28 UTC 2001

johns <snaken at uidaho.edu> wrote:

>I'm setting up my first W2K server as a domain controller,
>and I have checked it out using the MS Walkthroughs. The
>DC and workstation are on a simple hub, and everything
>works fine. I moved the DC to our campus network where
>we run bootp, completely reinstalled the server to use
>the campus DNS .. same for the workstation. They talk
>fine, and the server authenticates logins with no problem.
>I edited the Group Policy of one of my OUs on the server
>to control user desktop settings for a user in that OU.
>It simply never takes effect .. something like removing
>'run' from the start menu. Sysads in other w2k newsgroups
>pointed me here, saying that the problem is that I'm not
>using W2K DNS which is required to fully support Active
>Directory, and that I might need to run BIND ??? What
>is going on here. Does anybody understand this?

There has been much discussion of W2k and DNS on this list since
09/99 (and before).  Search the archives at

     http://www.isc.org

I believe that BIND will work with W2k AD, assuming that you do not
want to run a W2k DNS box.  But you have to allow dynamic DNS on the
BIND server, and that raises a number of problems - security, no more
manual zone updates, et alia.

Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov