error message:query refused

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 3 03:55:17 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <92599p$r3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Niko <niko at jacada.com> wrote:
> >Hi ALL,
> >
> >I have some problem with my dns server
> >Has anyone seen this error before
> >"query refused"
> >I get error message when I did nslookup and
> >ls - d my zone (x.y.z.zone)
>
> It means your address is not in the "allow-transfer" access list of the
> zone.

Or it could mean that you sent the query to a server which does not consider
itself authoritative for the zone. If this server is configured as master for the
zone, are you sure it loaded properly (check the logs)? If you query something
that you *know* exists in the zone, do you get an authoritative response from this
nameserver (query multiple times to make sure, since the first time, named might
have just "passed through" an authoritative response from some other server)?