multiple-cnames support in 8.2.2-P5

Schaefer, Paul A SchaePA at ch.etn.com
Thu Jan 4 15:05:44 UTC 2001

>I believe all versions of BIND 8 still support multiple-cnames, but the
>option is terminated with extreme prejudice in BIND 9.

>In the long term, SRV records should give you the weighting capability
>you desire.

>- Kevin

On p. 411 in my 3rd edition of DNS and Bind, it says:
"Unfortunately, we don't know of any clients that support the SRV record
yet"

That sounds bad.  I think the SRV record might possibly solve my problem
somehow but it would have to work.  In the 2+ years since the 3rd edition
came out, has support for SRV has become pretty standard?