DNS problem from hell: mysterious bad host information

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Jan 4 16:57:37 UTC 2001

    Andras> I'm working as an DNS Admin at an ISP.  One of our client
    Andras> has a domain: international-works.com the correct name
    Andras> servers of this domain are: ns.nextra.hu or ns1.nextra.hu

Er no. According to the .com servers, the international-works.com zone
does not exist. Its name servers are not listed in the .com zone:

	% dig @a.root-servers.net international-works.com any

A reply of NXDOMAIN means no such host or domain.

The international-works.com zone is known to the whois server at Network
Solutions however. Maybe your customer hasn't renewed the registration
for this zone and it's been dropped from the .com zone?

    Andras> but they told me they cannot receive e-mails.

Well this shouldn't be a surprise as the world's name servers are
unable to find any name servers for international-works.com. This means
they won't be able find the zone's MX records, which means their mail
systems can't deliver mail to username at international-works.com.

As for contacting Network Solutions, you have my sympathy. If they're
replying to your email, it's likely those replies will be going to the
technical and administrative contacts for the international-works.com
zone, not to you. [An obvious security precaution is to ensure mail
for altering zone information and registration details only goes to
the zone's officially designated contacts.] It might be an idea for
these contacts to get in touch with Network Solutions.