use www and not

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 4 21:56:40 UTC 2001

In article <932q0o$74k at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <bhorstkotte at my-deja.com> wrote:
>For the case of using CNAMEs (which I must, since I'm hosting on a
>dynamic IP using dtdns), does this look right?  Specifically the part
>about getting communityvista.com to work - www.communityvista.com has
>been working fine before adding the "wildcard" record (I'm unsure of
>how to do it - blank entry, or *, or @, or ??)

No, it doesn't look right.  A name can't have both CNAME and other
records.  Since communityvista.com has to have SOA and NS records, it can't
also have a CNAME record.  If you want this to work, you'll have to use an
A record with the same address as cv.dtdns.net.  If dtdns.net is a dynamic
DNS service, you can't do what you want just with DNS.  You could do it
with an HTTP redirect service; point communityvista.com to the IP of the
forwarding server, and have it redirect http://communityvista.com/anything
to http://www.communityvista.com/anything.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA