Bind812. Point to another domain without root servers.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 4 23:59:51 UTC 2001

In article <932v4u$8l4 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Kevin Darcy  <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> In article <932pmh$70b at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
>> Diego Balgera <diego.balgera at nokia.com> wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >my question is simple. I have a dns (dns1) with bind 8.1.2, with authority
>> >(SOA) over a zone (assume it is domain1.com). I would like to configure it
>> >to ask queries to another dns (dns2) with authority over another zone
>> >(domain2.com). I should configure the root dns, but at the moment I haven't
>> >any root dns at all.
>> >So, is it possible to fill the "." hint zone file to point directly to the
>> >other domain without going up in the hierarchy?
>>
>> No.  The hints file is only used to get the initial list of root NS
>> records.
>
>Indeed. And even if it did work (which it _could_, in the case of an internal
>root), I doubt that the administrators of dns2 would appreciate you
>sending all of
>your "garbage" queries (typos, etc.) to their server for resolution.

His proposed configuration wouldn't have sent all garbage queries to their
server.  He asked about putting a non-root NS record in the hints file.

>You should either a) forward or b) have a zone definition for root which
>references one or more *real* root server(s). This could be a hints, stub, master
>or slave zone definition. In the case of master, of course, you'd have to set up
>your own root zone master file. But it's not that hard.

Again, he's not talking about root zones, just specific zones.

>> You need to upgrade to BIND 8.2, and then you can create a "forwarding"
>> zone:
>>
>> zone "domain2.com" {
>>   type forward;
>>   forwarders { 100.101.102.103; };
>> };
>
>If the remote server is authoritative for the zone and allows zone transfers, and
>especially if redundancy is a requirement, then becoming a slave for the zone
>might be preferable to forwarding. Also, a stub zone might perform better than
>forwarding, although with less redundancy than slaving. If the remote server is
>*not* authoritative, then of course forwarding is the only reasonable option. If
>the remote server is not authoritative and also refuses recursion, then that's a
>showstopper.

I don't think stub would work for this.  AFAIK, the only thing stub is for
is inserting NS records into a parent zone, and you have to be
authoritative for the parent zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA