name resolution issue

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 5 15:13:47 UTC 2001

In article <933u54$eg0 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <aottl at mpmail.net> wrote:
>Are you sure that BIND will by design go through that chain of queries?

Yes.  How else can it find the answer when the only information it
initially starts with is the list of root servers?

>There's even a chance of forming a loop like delegating aaa.com to
>ns.bbb.de and delegating bbb.de to ns.aaa.com. What would BIND do in
>that case? There must be some limit on hunting for glue records, right?

It probably limits the number of queries that are used to answer an initial
query, to catch infinite recursion.  And now that I think of it, maybe
that's why this domain is having problems -- perhaps the limit is low
enough that you're hitting it when most of the information is missing from
the cache.  But I would expect the recursion limit to be significantly
higher than this, precisely to prevent false failures like yours.  Maybe
one of the BIND developers could chime in on this issue.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA