Secundary DNS is not authoritatively

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 5 18:20:44 UTC 2001

In article <934ro2$plm at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Baumann Reto <rbaumi at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>I checked the log of the Secundary DNS and found the following entry:
>29-Dec-2000 00:45:40.437 load: warning: Zone "8ball.ch" (file
>sec/8ball.ch.hosts): multiple SOA RRs found
>29-Dec-2000 00:45:40.438 load: warning: slave zone "8ball.ch" (IN) rejected
>due to errors (serial 20)
>
>I checked my 8ball.ch DNS entry but there aren't multiple SOAs

What happens when you do "dig 8ball.ch axfr @<primaryaddr>".  Do you see
multiple SOA records with different serial numbers?  Normally there should
be an SOA record at the beginning and end, and they should be identical.

Are you hosting multiple domains on the primary?  Check whether the
erroneous SOA record appears to be coming from one of the other files.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA