SMTP on port other than 25 through DNS???

Igmar Palsenberg maillist at chello.nl
Sat Jan 6 14:54:52 UTC 2001

> Nah, only a rip-off if you allow it to be.  There must be a way around
> this, though at first glance, I don't see how to get a sendmail
> daemon to deliver anywhere but port 25.  I thought there was an option
> for both inbound and outbound ports, but that may have been years ago.
>
> Hey! That's an idea, maybe this kind of port-25 blocking silliness

It's not 'silliness'. Main reason for ISP's to block incoming SMTP is that
most user's SMTP server are wide open for relay.

If people want to blaim anyone for this : shoot the spammers, shoot the US
government for passing that idiot 'This message can not be considered spam
because .... ' law.

> will be *just* the thing to bring back UUCP from the dead!  Port 540
> shouldn't be blocked..what was that, the T protocol? *grin*

Indeed :)

> Best guess, find a sendmail-like creature (smail, procmail, etc.)
> that will allow you to specify the delivery port, find someone
> with a sense of humour to be your co-conspirator in an end-run on
> the silly $150/month or just use a fecthmail-like system via POP.

Yeah, or make yourself a kind of mailplug ;)

> -dan, who bets MMDF coulda done this in no less than 15 files!

	Igmar