MX Records Change

Eric Leslie eric.leslie at metzgers.com
Mon Jan 8 02:19:34 UTC 2001

Hello All:
The company that I work for was informed that our ISDN connection will be
shut down, so we had to find a new provider. We host our own mail server,
and have the MX records to reflect this. Once I found out the new static IP
for the new connection, I requested a change to our MX records to reflect
the new connection. Below, find the MX settings:

Non-authoritative answer:
metzgers.com    preference = 10, mail exchanger = media.metzgers.com
metzgers.com    preference = 0, mail exchanger = corp.metzgers.com

metzgers.com    nameserver = NS1.DYNAMICWEB.NET
metzgers.com    nameserver = NS2.DYNAMICWEB.NET
media.metzgers.com      internet address = 206.165.56.209
corp.metzgers.com       internet address = 208.10.17.62
NS1.DYNAMICWEB.NET      internet address = 205.178.159.134
NS2.DYNAMICWEB.NET      internet address = 205.178.138.137

Since I wasn't able to change the connection settings right away, I figured
that I would leave both IPs active in the MX record. My thinking was that
once the old connection was unavailable (media.metzgers.com), I thought that
it would go to the new connection and static IP (corp.metzgers.com). Anyway,
I have gotten the new connection set up, but no outside mail comes in. Once
I go back to the old connection, the outside mail comes in. Was my thinking
of the MX settings wrong? Or what should my MX record reflect to work in
this manner, if possible? Obviously, once I am comfortable with the new ISDN
connection, I will have the old IP reference removed from the MX record.

Regards,

Eric Leslie
InfoSys/New Media
Metzgers Printing & Prepress