MX Records Change

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 8 15:48:44 UTC 2001

In article <93ceho$5su at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Eric Leslie <eric.leslie at metzgers.com> wrote:

>Mark:
>Thank you for the reply. The MX record change occurred about two weeks ago.
>Is there a way that I could ping for the availability of port 25 when I
>connect back to the other ISP? Once I connect to the other provider, I am

telnet media.metzgers.com 25

>able to connect to corp.metzgers.com and the IP address when using an
>offsite computer. Problem being that I am trying to minimize downtime since
>I do not control the DNS server, I can't control when the change occurs.
>
>Any ideas on how to better accomplish what I am trying to do?

It seems like your multiple MX solution *should* work.  When connections to
corp.metzgers.com time out, the sender should try media.metzgers.com, and
this will succeed.

Have you checked the log on your mail server to see if connections are
coming in when you're connected to the other ISP?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA