How to keep BIND from listening on port 53/tcp

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Mon Jan 8 15:54:55 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 03:17:36PM +0100, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> How do I keep BIND 8.2.2-P7 from listening on port 53/tcp?

Use the listen-on option in your configuration file to get it to listen
on a different interface and/or port.
See http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/config/options.html

> I have allow-transfer { none; }; in bind.conf, but BIND is still
> listening on port 53/tcp.

allow-transfer sets who may make zone transfer (AXFR) requests.

> When the above configuration is in effect, can I safely assume that
> BIND will not respond to any connections on port 53/tcp?

Yes; but it needs to listen on some port. Otherwise you may as well just
shut it down.

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "Managing 4000 customer domains with BIND has been a lot like