gethostbyaddr Error

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 9 00:07:55 UTC 2001

In article <93djiv$j9g at pub3.rc.vix.com>, SoloCDM  <deedsmis at aculink.net> wrote:

>Barry Margolin stated the following:
>>
>> In article <93dgki$i9t at pub3.rc.vix.com>, SoloCDM  <deedsmis at aculink.net> wrote:
>> >The following error occurs in /var/log/maillog:
>> >
>> >sendmail[32602]: gethostbyaddr(204.118.157.122) failed: 1
>> >
>> >Because I'm connected to an ISP, the last set of numbers (after
>> >the last period) change with every ISP connection, so how can I
>> >put a generic entry in DNS?  The host is either mail.aculink.net
>> >or aculink.net . . . I just don't know which is more appropriate
>> >or standardization.
>>
>> You should create DNS entries for all the hosts in your address block.  You
>> can do this easily with the $GENERATE directive in the zone file.
>
>All entries for each host was done.

Where did you put them?  Are you the operator of the ISP that owns the
204.118.157.x address block?  The reverse domain is delegated to
ns1.accessone.com and ns2.accessone.com, but they don't have a reverse
entry for that IP address.

% dig -x 204.118.157.122 ptr @ns1.accessone.com +norec

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> -x ptr @ns1.accessone.com +norec
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	122.157.118.204.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
157.118.204.in-addr.arpa.  1D IN SOA  b.ns.verio.net. dns.verio.net. (
					1999071101	; serial
					3H		; refresh
					1H		; retry
					1W		; expiry
					1D )		; minimum

>What is $GENERATE?  How is it accessed?

It's a directive you can put in the zone file.  Here's the documentation
from the BIND web site (I think the line about supported types is wrong --
I think you can also generate A records with this).

  $GENERATE

  $GENERATE is used to create a series of resource records that only differ
  from each other by an iterator.
  range This can be one of two forms: start-stop or start-stop/step. If the
	first form is used then step is set to 1. All of start, stop and
	step must be positive.
  lhs   Lhs describes the owner name of the resource records to be
	created. Any single $ symbols within the LHS side are replaced by
	the iterator value. To get a $ in the output use a double $,
	e.g. $$. If the lhs is not absolute the current $ORIGIN is appended
	to the name.
  type  At present the only supported types are PTR, CNAME and NS.
  rhs   Rhs is a domain name. It is processed similarly to the lhs.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA