W2k AD can't access BIND server

Jozef Skvarcek jozef at photonfield.net
Tue Jan 9 18:14:32 UTC 2001

Hello,

Could someone, please, help me with the following problem?  I am trying
to set up W2k Active directory, I have prepared UNIX DNS server with
BIND v9.0.1. Here is the procedure and the error:

After running the AD wizard, and clicking on choosing the following:

"Create a new forest of domain trees" <next> - default -
"Full DNS domain name for the domain": dynamo.foo.com <next>
"Domain NetBIOS name": trt54tg (random to ensure no conflict) <next>
"Database location": c:\winnt\ntds <next> - default -
"Log location": c:\winnt\ntds <next> - default -
"Sysvol folder location": c:\winnt\sysvol <next> - default -

At this point, the following error occurs:

"The wizard cannot contact the DNS server that handles the
name "dynamo.foo.com" to determine if it support dynamic update.  Confirm
your DNS configuration, or install and configure a DNS server on this computer"

Dynamo.foo.com has its own zone file which allows dynamic updates.
I am able to see on the DNS server that this W2k machine does some
querries, also, I am able to resolve a test name in the dynamo.foo.com
domain from the command prompt window...

Below is my named.conf file. Thank you,

Jozef

# BIND v9 config file
#
options {
	directory "/named";
	allow-transfer { 127.0.0.1; 10.129.15.1; 10.129.12.85; };
	allow-query { any; };
	pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
};

# logging configuration