Blocked Port?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 9 18:52:28 UTC 2001

In article <93fm7s$bhk at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Eric Leslie <eric.leslie at metzgers.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>This is a follow-up message to a message I sent to the list a few days ago
>(subject: MX Records Change).
>
>Anyway, I did some more digging, and when I was connected to the new
>provider, I used a port scanner to check ports 110, 80, and 25. Ports 110
>and 80 came back active, but not port 25. This would explain the no
>incomming email. When I go back to the old connection, I am able to connect
>to all three ports.
>
>I called the provider and they said that it did not appear to be a problem
>on their end. What I don't understand is why can I ping 2 of the 3 ports
>when connected to them? I would think that if it was a problem on my end, I
>wouldn't be able to connect to any of them AND I would have problems with
>the other provider. And when I connect to the other provider (no config
>changes occur) I am able to connect to all three ports.
>
>Anyone have any ideas for me to check if it is on my end? It is starting to
>look like my only alternative is to switch providers. Thanks for any help
>you can provide.

Are media.metzgers.com and corp.metzgers.com really the same machine?  I
can successfully connect to media's port 25, but when I try to connect to
corp's port 25, I get "Connection refused".  This implies that both
connections are up, but sendmail is only bound on the media interface's
address.  I thought that sendmail always listened on all interfaces, but it
seems like it's only listening on one of them.  Maybe sendmail started up
before you enabled the corp interface, and it only binds to the interfaces
that are up when it starts.  Try restarting sendmail on the machine and see
whether you can connect.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA