Delegation of in-addr.arpa.

Manjeet Rekhi Manjeet.Rekhi at kellogg.com
Tue Jan 9 19:54:00 UTC 2001

Hello Admins,

We have an internal DNS server running on HP (v4.9.7) which is also a primary
root server. We also need to resolve external hosts
so we have a forwarders option which is pointing to our gateway server (which
doesn't know about internal hosts). The setup is working OK until ...

We delegated a subdomain (lev1.myinternal.com) to a linux server with address
space 10.98.60.x. This linux server, in turn has delegated
a sub domain (lev2.lev1.myinternal.com) to an NT server running WINS and DNS wit
address space 10.98.61.x

Our db.myinternal entries are (for delegation) :

lev1 86400 IN NS linux.lev1.myinternal.com.
linux.lev1.myinternal.com. 86400 IN A 10.98.60.11
lev2.lev1 86400 IN NS nt.lev2.lev1.myinternal.com.
nt.lev2.lev1.myinternal.com. 86400 IN A 10.98.61.12

Our db.in-addr.10 entries for delegation are:

60.98.10.in-addr.arpa. IN NS linux.lev1.myinternal.com.
61.98.10.in-addr.arpa. IN NS nt.lev2.lev1.myinternal.com.

With this setup, my forward name resolution works fine with HP connecting
directly to linux (or NT) if query is for a host in any sub-domain.
However, when I perform a reverse lookup for one of the addresses in the
sub-domains, I see in the debug log that HP connects to the gateway
(which doesn't know about internal hosts and IPs) instead of connecting to linux
 or NT (as the case maybe). I also found that if I remove forwarding
option, the queries works fine bothways. But we need to retain the forwarding
functionality to resolve external hostnames.

What do I need to change to make my setup work? I can provide more details if
required. I was thinking of making HP secondary for its own sub-domains
(both forward and reverse) but NT has WINS as well and DNS+WINS don't mix well
with HP.

Thanks in advance
...Manjeet