NT/UNIX DNS Comaprison

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jan 10 00:55:13 UTC 2001

         Are you looking to run Microsoft's DNS Server on NT or BIND? If you
   run BIND, it will work on any NT system including workstation.  If you are
   using MS's DNS, you need to run it on Win2K Server since it's only available
   on a server and the NT 4.0 version is not support by them.  You also have to
   deal with Active Directory issues (There are a ton of messages about that in
   this newgroup).

         If you want BIND, you should install 8.2.3-T9B-NT3 which is available
   from http://bind8nt.meiway.com/download.cfm which works with either
   NT 4.0 or Win2K.  The biggest advantage of BIND is using standard files
   such as named.conf, zone file format, etc.  I'm not sure about MS's DNS.
   You also can get plenty of configuration help on BIND through this list.

         Most of the previous paragraph applies to running BIND on any UNIX
   platform.  Using Unix or NT depends on other issues.

         Danny