Reverse Lookup Bind 9

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 10 15:48:52 UTC 2001

In article <93hu3k$53v at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO  <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

>> OTOH, you should consider using a different tool. Dig is a much better
>> choice.
>It does seem to work for Dig, but I thought a PTR exists for
>db.216.112.229 file which is the reverse lookup file for the 216.112.229
>subnet for this LAN.
>
>$TTL 86400;
>@      IN      SOA     mail.rm-cpa.com. root.rm-cpa.com.  (
>                5       ;Serial
>                43200   ;Refresh in 12 Hours
>                3600    ; Retry in One Hour
>                2419200 ; Expire in 28 days
>                86400 ) ; TTL
>
>$ORIGIN 229.112.216.in-addr.arpa
>
>        IN      NS      mail.rm-cpa.com.
>
>114     IN      PTR     mail.rm-cpa.com.

Maybe you should use the -d option to nslookup to see what's happening when
it tries to do the initial reverse lookup.

>> hudson doesn't seem to think it's hosting 168.192.in-addr.arpa.
>
>That would be correct.  I don't even know why it's asking hudson which is not
>on the lan and is only a backup server in etc/resolv.conf

Since the first server in resolv.conf couldn't resolve its own address,
nslookup skipped it and went on to the second one.  My assumption about the
silly reverse lookup test that nslookup does is that it's trying to find a
"working" nameserver in the resolv.conf list; if a server can't even tell
you its own name, it assumes it's not working properly.

>It won't find the darn manedb running locally.
>

>> Is there
>> a zone {} clause in the named.conf telling it to load
>> 168.192.in-addr.arpa? At the moment it thinks blackhole.isi.edu it the
>> master nameserver.
>
>mail.rm-cpa.com should be master for the LAN
>I think it clearly has a zone for 192.168.0

But since nslookup skipped over this server, it won't see what it has.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA