A BIND 8 syntax question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 10 21:51:45 UTC 2001

In article <93igvh$dai at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Chris Leppink <admin at networkg.com> wrote:
>Below is my BIND 8.2.2 named.conf file (running on NT).  What is the syntax
>to allow zone transfers to multiple IP/Name servers???  And what would be
>the syntax to allow transfers to any secondary requesting my zone files???
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To allow zone transfers to multiple IP's, just list them all, separated by
semicolons:

allow-transfer { 144.228.254.10; 192.168.10.12; 10.1.2.3; };

To allow zone transfers to anyone, use:

allow-transfer { any; };

or just leave out the allow-transfer option, since this is the default.

Is the documentation unclear about this?  Aren't the examples on page 252
of the DNS & BIND book good enough?  Did you consult either of them before
posting?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA