Dots in a DNS name...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 10 23:46:59 UTC 2001

In article <93iqi4$hbr at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
William Charles  <william.charles at db.com> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Quick question. Suppose that we have a DNS domain
>'people.somewhere.someplace.com'. Suppose further that all A/PTR
>'entries' within this domain are of the form 'forename.surname'. i.e..
>'fred.bloggs.somewhere.somplace.com'.
>
>What're the general feelings regarding that dot between the person's
>names? Whilst it certainly works, I don't get a happy, smiley feeling
>from it. Am I wrong and just being overly suspicious/cautious?

I don't see any problem with it.  Dots are a perfectly valid character in
DNS names.  What concerns you about it?  Is it because you're not
delegating bloggs.somewhere.someplace.com as a separate zone?  Nothing in
DNS assumes that a subdomain is also a subzone.  In fact, it's quite common
for it not to be; for instance, in reverse domains for class B networks
it's common to have everything in the same zone, with entries like

1.2 IN PTR host-2-1
3.4 IN PTR host-4-3

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA