New Serial # Is Less Than Old Error

Smith, William E. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Thu Jan 11 14:27:58 UTC 2001

I've begun seeing in my messages log the following error:

new serial number < old (88954 <
88957)

I don't see it all that often but enough for me to try and investigate
further.  I've searched the archives and really couldn't find much there.
I'm just wondering what would cause this error and what, if anything I can
do to address it.  Running BIND 8.2.2 P7 on my primary where the error is
occurring and 8.2.2 P5 on secondaries.  Primary is also QIP DNS Server.  Any
insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Smith
<mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
The Johns Hopkins University                    Washington DC: 240-228-5523
Applied Physics Laboratory                      MD: 443-778-5523
11100 Johns Hopkins Road                        Fax: 443-778-5727
Laurel, MD 20723-6099                           Web:
<http://www.jhuapl.edu/>