Bind 9 Reverse Lookup

Ruben I Safir - Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Jan 11 19:05:31 UTC 2001

> I do.  The server responded to reverse lookup with an NXDOMAIN answer,
> meaning that it can't find a PTR record for its own address.

OK I see. There is a message about NXDOMAIN in the logs when it
starts up.  I thought the message related to that.

>  Don't you see
> that right after the first "Got answer:" line?
>
> I did an AXFR of the zone, and I saw the following record:

OK How did you do that?

dig @mail.rm0cpa.com mail.rm-cpa.com axfer

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.rm-cpa.com.        86400   IN      A       216.112.229.114

The output from this is see the dot quad without a dot on the end.  Thats
not exactly what you discovered.  I seem to be missing an understanding on
how the querry is called in dig to do reverse resolution.

> 114.229.112.216.in-addr.arpa  IN PTR  mail.rm-cpa.com.
>
> Notice the missing "." after "arpa".  Since the name doesn't end in ".",
> it's not fully qualified, so the $ORIGIN is appended.  Thus, the above
> record is equivalent to:
>
> 114.229.112.216.in-addr.arpa.229.112.216.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR
mail.rm-cpa.com.
OK

I fully understand.  Now I need to learn to use these tools a little better so
don'ty have to nag the list.

man dig seems to not have any examples.

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions