Internal and External DNS

count0 bind at timmy.ws
Thu Jan 11 23:19:40 UTC 2001

On 11 Jan 2001 09:00:37 -0800, "MJL" <no at thanks.com> wrote:

>I've been looking around the internet (probably in the wrong places) and
>haven't found an answer for this yet.
>
>We are running an internal ".com" domain on our servers.  Our external DNS
>is currently hosted by our ISP and will sometime come in house.  This
>obviously is a problem because both severs are authoritative for our domain
>so we can't make real lookups to the outside.
>
>We are going to change our internal DNS but are unsure what to use as a
>domain extension.  I have seem people use ".lan" or ".cxm", etc.  Is there
>any sort of standard or even a most commonly used extension for this
>situation.
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Matthew Lowrance
>Positronic Industries Inc.

I use ".int", for internal, but according to appendix 3 in "DNS and
BIND", .int is a TLD for "International". You can basically use
whatever you want. ".lan" sounds great, I might have to steal that one
from you!! You can use .foo, .bogus, .shit, whatever you
really want. I don't know of any industry standard.