problem with bind 9.0.1

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 12 18:34:46 UTC 2001

In article <93ngvq$gh3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
loren jan wilson  <ljwilson at midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>i've compiled bind 9.0.1 on a solaris 7 machine, and when i run it as
>"./named -?"
>it prints the proper arguments. when i run it as
>"./named -c /var/named/named.conf"
>it doesn't do anything at all...just quits to the prompt. no core
>file. no error messages. nothing.

Are you sure it's not still running?  Named, like most daemons,
automatically backgrounds itself (unless you use the -d option).  It forks
a child process to do the real work, and the original process returns to
the shell prompt.  In BIND 4 and 8 it doesn't return until after it has
loaded all the zone files, but if you don't have lots of zones this can be
very quick; I don't know whether BIND 9 backgrounds itself immediately or
after loading files.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA