what line in the dns files

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 12 19:33:44 UTC 2001

In article <93nk7j$hiq at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Ron Jones <rej at idba.org> wrote:
>Hi all
>Thanks for all the great responses to my last questions
>you really helped.
>Can someone tell me which line in the dns db files assign the
>exact IP address for that domain?
> for instance nslookup for idba.org returns 24.234.62.134

It's not in the DB file you posted.  Since the registration of idba.org
doesn't point to your servers, it's coming from the lvcablemodem.com
servers.

>after setting up my first dns servers i am not sure exactly which
>line does it.

If you want an A record for idba.org, enter one:

idba.org.  IN A  24.234.62.134

Just like you did for the MX record.

>idba.org. Is this the file?
>or is it in the resolve.conf file?
>please answer.
> IN      SOA     ns1.idba-dns.net.   root.idba-dns.net. (
>                                2001011001
>                                10800
>                                3600
>                                604800
>                                86400
>                                )
>
>                        IN      NS      ns1.idba-dns.net.
>                        IN      NS      ns2.idba-dns.net.
>   IN      NS      fred.idba.org.
>
>router.idba.org.        IN      A       XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>ns1.idba-dns.net.       IN      A       XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>ns2.idba-dns.net.       IN      A       XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

These last two lines don't belong in this file.  All the names defined in
the idba.org db file must end in "idba.org.".  Those two A records should
be in the idba-dns.net db file.

>ns3.idba.org            IN      A       XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
>wilma.idba.org          IN      A       XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

You forgot the "." at the end of these two hostnames, so they define the
names ns3.idba.org.idba.org and wilma.idba.org.idba.org.  Is that really
what you intended?  I suggest you be consistent -- either always leave off
the domain suffix (like in the four lines below) or always include it (but
then you have to remember to end the names with "."), don't mix and match.

>www                     IN      CNAME   butch.idba.org.
>ns1                     IN      CNAME   ns1.idba-dns.net.
>ns2                     IN      CNAME   ns2.idba-dns.net.
>mail                    IN      CNAME   fred.idba.org.
>;ftp                    IN      CNAME   wilma.idba.org.
>idba.org.               IN      MX      10      fred.idba.org.
>idba-dns.net  IN MX 10 fred.idba.org.

This line defines a host named idba-dns.net.idba.org.  Is that what you
really intended?  If it was supposed to be just idba-dns.net, it doesn't
belong in this zone file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA