blanks in owner and host names

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 13 17:46:47 UTC 2001

Thanks for the response, Danny.

>The fact that they encoded a
>name in firmware is irrelevant since DNS doesn't use that name,

Perhaps you overlooked the fact this was in the context of dynamic
updates from DHCP.

>You are NOT forced to use
>the name in the firmware, it's just a convenience.

Well, I'm trying to strictly let dynamic updates from DHCP handle
everything, at least for most of my client workstations and network
devices -- this is a 16-node network I have in my home, some servers,
some PCs (all my family members have one, for example), some additional
network devices, like this Lucent Orinoco wireless bridge.)

I *could* go add an entry in /etc/dhcp.conf for this MAC address
and override the name, but I just don't want to.  I want it to be
as transparent as possible.

>I'm not sure what you are expecting.

Just trying to understand things (see my much longer reply to Mark
in another post).

>You are working very hard for no payback,

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger ;>)
I'm certainly learning more than I wanted to know about this issue,
so it's not totally wanted time.

>violating the specs for DNS, to get something to work that shouldn't
>work.

Of course, it's not I who is violating the specs :)

>These days everything's stored in flashrom and
>can be easily modified.

That's certainly a giant leap :)
I've done my share of flash updates.
You can only update the flash (safely, IMHO) *if* you have code from the
manufacturer.  Checksums might prevent arbitrary hacking, in any case.

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511