Multiple IP in Zone file

Gerald Waugh gerald at waugh.com
Sat Jan 13 22:10:18 UTC 2001

"Andrew Tsen" <drew at netaxs.com> wrote in message
news:93qips$7n7 at pub3.rc.vix.com...

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Gerald Waugh wrote:
>
> > "Gerald Waugh" <gerald at waugh.com> wrote in message news:...
> > > Hi,
> > > I have several servers, that I desire to have registered under one domain
> > name.
> > > "frontstreetnetworks.com"
> > > Currently I have;
> > >  fsn2.frontstreetnetworks.com 216.175.178.46
> > > I thought I could add these to the frontstreetnetworks.com zone file, but
it
> > > does not seem to work.
> > > I have only attempted one "fsn3.frontstreetnetworks.com"
> > > fsn3.frontstreetnetworks.com.   IN   A   216.175.178.42
> > > fsn4.frontstreetnetworks.com.   IN   A    216.175.178.43
> > > fsn5.frontstreetnetworks.com.   IN   A    216.175.178.44
> > > nameservers are:
> > > fsn1.frontstreetnetworks.net
> > > fsn2.frontstreetnetworks.com
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > Excuse me but I had another thought. (
> > Would I or could I use one IP for these servers?
>
> Yes you could.
>
> fsn3.frontstreetnetworks.com.   IN  A     216.175.178.42
> fsn4.frontstreetnetworks.com.   IN  CNAME fsn3.frontstreetnetworks.com.
> fsn5.frontstreetnetworks.com.   IN  CNAME fsn3.frontstreetnetworks.com.

Thanks Andrew,
I guess my real question is what are the pros and cons
of using one IP versus a separate IP for each server.
I assume that it means the NIC will all listen on the one IP address.
The network traffic would be the same.
Will it have an affect on the servers? Having to do a little more work to
determine if the packet is really for them.
Gerald