Question about BIND Source Code

Questions Answers qanda01 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 01:57:10 UTC 2001

Hello BIND users

I am using BIND 8.2.2 P7 on RH 6.2

I had a question about the lookup logic of BIND for MX
records.

When an MX record of a domain is queried from an
Authoritative DNS for the domain, BIND recives a query
of type T_MX. It retrieves the MX record
e.g  mail.domain.com

And then it is supposed to look for the A record for
mail.domain.com , and put it in the ADDITIONAL SECTION

Could someone, please give me a pointer to the place
where it is done in the source code? I have traced
uptil the point where AUTHORITY SECTION is filled in
(src/bin/named/ns_req.c Line 1142).

Thanks much!