Dynamic DNS updates

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Jan 15 16:46:54 UTC 2001

 will at best.net wrote:

>I have seen people talking about this before, but I never saw anyone
>answer. I wanted to know how I could setup a service like DynDNS. What
>steps I need to take to get BIND ready to do this, what kind of
>scripts I need, work programs I need, etc. This will be runnin off of
>a Unix box. I refuse to use NT as a DNS server.

BIND 8.x already is set up to handle dynamic DNS.  To limit what IP
addresses are allowed to update a zone dynamically, add an

     allow-update

clause to the zone definition in the named.conf file.  Remember that
once a zone is subject to DDNS, you cannot edit the zone file
manually without possible loss of data.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov