Sending emails from various domains using _one_ IP ???

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 15 18:11:51 UTC 2001

In article <93v86i$d97 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, paul t. breie <paalb at mamut.com> wrote:
>The question though, is whether I am able to set up email-accounts on
>different
>domains without reverse lookup / specifying a dedicated IP-adress to the
>domain ?

Yes.  The email address doesn't have to match the place where mail is being
sent from at all.  For instance, when I send mail from my machine at home,
I put "From: barmar at alum.mit.edu" in the header.  This is a
forwarding-for-life address maintained by my school's Alumni Association,
and it has no relationship to my ISP's domain.

If you want incoming mail for these different domains to all arrive on your
server, just give them all MX records pointing to your server's name.  The
email address doesn't have to be in the same domain as the MX host.
E.g. you can have:

customer.com.  IN MX  10  mail.isp.net.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA