Two IPs to One URL

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Jan 15 22:07:43 UTC 2001

In article <93vfq6$g89 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <ham at iav.ac.ma> wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>Do you mean that DNS can accomplish Load-Sharing that is called Round-Robin?
>Does it accomplish it  by randomly affecting IPs to the unique URL?
>And how is that performant (roun-bind)?

Round-robin means that each time the server is asked for the A records, it
returns them in a different order.  Clients usually connect to the first
address in the address list that was returned to them.  Since the
reordering will result in the first entry rotating among all the possible
entries, and this should result in pretty even load balancing over long
periods of time.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA