named shuts down

Peter Rose peter.rose1 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 16 08:30:23 UTC 2001

Thanks for the information, guys  -

I'm running on RedHat 6.1 (in the background)

Here's the startup message:

Jan 15 20:50:32 server named[5258]: starting.  named 8.2.2-P7 Fri Nov 10
11:12:5
3 EST 2000 ^Iprospector at porky.devel.redhat.com:/usr/src/bs/BUILD/bind-
8.2.2_P7/s
rc/bin/named

So I guess Mark's point about this version being known to SIGTERM itself
could be relevant.

If this is just an isolated incident, I'd maybe assume this is what has
happened. I shall turn on the debugging for a while and see what
happens:-)

Should I be upgrading to a later version of BIND?

Thanks again

Peter Rose
London UK

In message <NEBBLGLDKLMMGKEMEFMFEEOACDAA.mathias at koerber.org>, Mathias
Körber <mathias at koerber.org> writes

>Hmm.  It's hard to say..
>
>Seems something is actively sutting it down, rather than
>it crashing.
>
>A few things you can do/tell:
>
>a) What version of BIND are you running=20
>       - post the log messages at startup
>b) What environment? (O/S)
>c) Turn on at least debug level 1 and watch the logs
>d) Could any process be sending named a signal to make it shut down?
>   Are you running named in foreground mode attached to a shell and
>   it goes down when you exit?
>e) checkyour other logfiles, and make sure syslog logs all levels of =
>messages
>   somewhere. You may be missing messages that are not logged due to =
>syslog
>   settings.

Cyberscreen Internet Services.
25, Oak Hill,