cant do lookup on my master - primary

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 16 14:56:18 UTC 2001

In article <940s67$t34 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Mike Chang <mdc at flashcom.net> wrote:
>I've got a weird problem.  When issuing the command "ls -d acme.com"
>using nslookup on my primary linux DNS server, I get the error :Cant
>list domain acme.com; unspecified error".  I look in the logs and it
>says im not auth for AXFR.  note that this is being done on my primary
>master server with nslookup.  queries are being answered fine and as
>you guess auto update is not working.  I've gone over every thing 3
>times...named.conf, syntax DB files...  here is my named.conf....

"not auth" means the server is not authoritative for the domain, it doesn't
mean "not authorized" (that shows up as "acl", meaning you aren't in the
allow-transfer access control list).  The normal reason for a master server
to be non-authoritative is a syntax error in the zone file.  Look at the
log messages that were printed when you started named, and you should see
messages like:

named[<pid>]:acme.com:<line#>:<error message>
named[<pid>]: primary zone "acme.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial #)

Then fix the error on the specified line in the acme.com file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA