Reverse Lookup Query...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 16 15:00:27 UTC 2001

In article <941bkt$5od at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Wallingford, Ron <Ron.Wallingford at genosys.net> wrote:
>All,
>
>I am a newbie, so I shall try not to take anything for granted. :)
>
>My server's name is GELNN1SS006 and its IP address is 212.161.103.238.
>Domain is (genosys-europe.net)
>
>I have installed Bind 8.2.2 on Solaris.  I have no appreciable errors in the
>syslog.  I can (from my dns server) do a SUCCESSFUL nslookup of say,
>www.cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com> , however my ADDRESS of my
>localhost/Name server is 0.0.0.0.  See below in Figure 1.
>************************************
>*** Figure 1. - Nslookup from DNS server
>************************************
>$ nslookup  <http://www.cisco.com/> www.cisco.com
>Server:  gelnn1ss006
>Address:  0.0.0.0
>
>Name:     <http://www.cisco.com/> www.cisco.com
>Address:  198.133.219.25
>************************************
>??? Can anyone give me a hint as to why ???

Server address 0.0.0.0 is what you get if you don't have an
/etc/resolv.conf file.  It means to use the default server address, which
is the local machine's IP address.

>ALSO
>I put a test workstation on the same subnet and pointed its DNS entry to my
>new Bind DNS.  A lookup on the workstation to the outside world resolved OK,
>however the DNS server's name was UNKNOWN.  See below in Figure 2.
>
>************************************
>*** Figure 2.- Nslookup from Workstation
>************************************
>C:\>nslookup www.cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com>
>Cant't find server name for address 212.161.103.238: Non-existent domain
>Default servers are not available
>Server:  Unknown
>Address:  212.161.103.238
>
>Name:    www.cisco.com <http://www.cisco.com>
>Address:  198.133.219.25
>
>My setup guide is the O'Reily "DNS and BIND" book.

Doesn't anyone read the responses sent to other people in this group?  We
get at least one question a day asking about "Can't find server name for
address" messages.  It means you don't have a reverse DNS entry for the
address of your server, which nslookup requires.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA