check-names fail

Bob Vance bobvance at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Jan 16 15:38:56 UTC 2001

Obviously, there is some disagreement on this issue :)

As I noted elsewhere, RFC2181, which
    "Updates: 1034, 1035, 1123",
specifically says:

   "A DNS server may be configurable to issue warnings when loading,
    or even to refuse to load, a primary zone containing labels that
    might be considered questionable, however
       *** this should not happen by default ***.
   "
This has no relevance to the reject-the-entire-zone issue, but since we
pay such obeisance to the RFCs, shouldn't the default not be REJECT.

I know that this is nit-picky, but I was just curious as to the
evolution
of this code.

As you say, from RFC1035:

   "When a master file is used to load a zone, the operation should be
    suppressed if any errors are encountered in the master file.  The
    rationale for this is that a single error can have widespread
    consequences.
   "
But, of course this was written long before BIND 8 was even a gleam.
So why the sudden change in philosophy in 8.2.3 to start rejecting the
entire zone?
And, BTW, why did previous versions respond non-authoritatively after
deciding to continue with the zone load, rejecting only the offending
record?

Tks        | <mailto:BVance at sbm.com>
BV         | <mailto:BobVance at alumni.caltech.edu>
Sr. Technical Consultant,  SBM, A Gates/Arrow Co.
Vox 770-623-3430           11455 Lakefield Dr.
Fax 770-623-3429           Duluth, GA 30097-1511