DNS & Active Directory Questions

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jan 17 02:50:41 UTC 2001

The core issue here, as I'm sure you realize, is that BIND only supports
standardized, RFC'ed transaction security mechanisms, whereas Win2K only
supports its own "extension" of TSIG, GSS-TSIG, currently in Internet Draft
status. So if you mix BIND and Win2K AD the most security you can get today is
*weak* authentication, i.e. by IP address or address range. For some
organizations, this is acceptable. I happen to know of one large organization
(not us) who has gone this route. We, on the other hand, haven't made the
decision yet; we are testing AD with weakly-authenticated updates and will no
doubt make the decision once we decide to go production with it. If strong
authentication is deemed to be a requirement and BIND doesn't support
GSS-TSIG by that time, then we will have to abandon BIND or any product based
on it for our AD-related zones. _Generally_ we prefer to test with the same
software mix as we plan to use in production, but in this case we weren't sure
what we would be using in production, so we chose to use BIND for testing
simply because we're more familiar with that DNS platform (we've never used any
Microsoft DNS products in our infrastructure).

Of course, I'm only discussing the Active Directory component of Win2K. There
is also a client registration component in which the Win2K DHCP server and/or
the client may attempt to Dynamically Update the nameserver, without
implicating Active Directory at all. That's a whole other issue. We have simply
avoided that issue by outright deciding not to implement Win2K's client
registration feature (we already have another product to do DHCP, which has
DDNS integration if we want it, so that feature of Win2K really didn't have
much value to us anyway).

- Kevin