BADTIME

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jan 17 22:16:07 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 10:03:31AM +0000, Jim Reid wrote:

>     Andrew> Err/TO getting serial# for "somedomain.com"
>     Andrew> SOA TSIG verification from server [aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd], zone somedomain.com: message had BADTIME set (18)
>
>     Andrew> The 2 servers are w/in a few minutes of each other.
>
> Fix the clocks! TSIG records include timestamps to prevent replay
> attacks. If the two systems can't agree on the same time, the
> "signatures" won't validate. That's why you get BADTIME errors. Run
> NTP - better still Secure NTP - on the systems. ...

Does a Secure NTP package exist?  The www.stime.org Web site has a 1999
expired internet-draft.  The URL:
http://ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-stime-ntpauth-00.txt
contains the AD 2000 expired internet-draft.  Is it going anywhere?

[The Y2K draft speaks of a preliminary SNTP in NTP 4.  At URL
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/, I only remember an XNTP 3.  Ah - the
site has been updated to the point that it takes forever to get through
my firewall, and a preliminary NTP 4.0 is available.]

[I am cc'ing the author of the Secure NTP drafts, to get his take on
progress of stime/SNTP.]

["forever" seems to be mediated by that cute new logo at the top.]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B