DNS setup help

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 18 00:42:08 UTC 2001

Struth, Rich wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    I've been tasked to bring DNS in house and to keep our ISP as a
> secondary. I have a
>    Sun box in which I would like to run Solaris 8. I'm looking for
> recommendations on
>    what version of Bind I should use and any other info to get me started.

Depends on what your requirements are, what hardware platform you have
available, and how adventurous you are. BIND 9 is out (with BIND 9.1 coming
close to release), which is a total rewrite and supports a lot of new
features, including multiprocessor enhancements (which may or may not apply
to you depending on hardware). But it's still relatively new and not widely
deployed. BIND 8.2.3 is an incremental improvement over the BIND 8.2.2
codebase, but still technically in beta. If you want to go with "tried and
true" (and concomitantly closer to obsolesence), then pick up BIND-8.2.2-p7.
Don't go with anything earlier, since there are security problems with older
versions.