DNS and DHCP

Ron Tipton uther at utk.edu
Thu Jan 18 15:03:59 UTC 2001

I would like to update from BIND 8 to BIND 9, mainly for DDNS.  It is
my understanding that DHCP Version 2 does not have the ability to
automatically update DNS with BIND 9 so in order to do DDNS I must
also upgrade to DHCP Version 3.  Is anyone running this combination
in production?

Initially I will have around 3,000 machines using DHCP, but that
number will increase to around 15,000 machines in numerous subnets
by the end of the year.

Am I asking for trouble trying to run BIND 9 and DHCP Version 3?  I
desperately need DDNS.  If BIND 9 and DCHP Version 3 is not the
answer does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks,
ron

--
Ron Tipton
Unix System Administrator
uther at tennessee.edu

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --