Hundreds of domains

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Jan 18 18:57:16 UTC 2001

In article <9472ge$954 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Kumar AN <af281 at city.ac.uk> wrote:
>I have inherited a Primary DNS server which hosts over 500 domains, with
>each domain having a zone file. Hence if I want to modify them, I either
>have to write a script or manually edit them one by one.
>
>I wondered if there was a better way to manage so many domains assuming
>all or at least most of them will have the same Primary and Secondary
>nameservers as well as the same TTL values and MX records
>
>The DNS server is running Solaris 8 (Sparc) and BIND

You can put the common data in a $INCLUDE file.  However, a side effect of
this is that "ndc reload" will take longer, because any file that uses
$INCLUDE is always reread (named normally remembers the modification time
of the db file for a zone, so it only needs to reload the ones that have
changed, but if a db file uses $INCLUDE it doesn't remember the
modification times of all the files that it depends on, so it assumes the
worst).

But if there are only 500 domains and they're pretty small, this should
only take a couple of minutes.

Another solution is to use a script to generate your zone files.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA