Bind problems of a beginner

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jan 18 22:16:16 UTC 2001

Tom Condon wrote:

> ns2.condon.com is in fact down, but I doubt that I am getting that much
> traffic.  Also, ns1.condon.com is quite a fast machine.  I do remember
> reading somewhere that mailserver's request for a domain lookup can time
> out too quickly.  Is this correct?

Yes, I think that was a major reason why sendmail added the ability to tune
resolver timeouts in 8.10(.1?). But you can't make everybody tune and/or
upgrade their mail servers, so in the meantime perhaps you should add more
nameservers so that the failure of 1 won't impact your ability to send mail so
severely.

- Kevin